Today marks the 3rd year the World Autism Day is celebrated. Thanks to the United Nations General Assembly for adopting and issuing a resolution on December 18, 2007 declaring April 2 as the World Autism Awareness Day (WAAD) that will bring the world’s attention to autism in perpetuity.
Autism is a pervasive disorder that affects tens of millions and does not discriminate sex, race, lifestyle or religion of an individual. The WAAD resolution encourages all Member States to take measures to raise awareness about autism throughout society and to encourage early diagnosis and early intervention. It further expresses deep concern at the prevalence and high rate of autism in children in all regions of the world and the consequent developmental challenges.
World Autism Awareness Day shines a bright light on autism as a growing global health crisis. WAAD wishes to increase and develop world knowledge of autism and impart information regarding the importance of early diagnosis and early intervention. Additionally, WAAD celebrates the unique talents and skills of persons with autism and is a day when individuals with autism are warmly welcomed and embraced in community events around the globe.
Read, sign and print the World Autism Awareness Day Proclamation of Support
Below are the Philippines participation and list of events in relation to the 3rd World Autism Awareness Day activities nationwide as organized by the Autism Society of the Philippines (ASP):
- Mar 25, 2010 Film Showing Alyana: A Study of Autism in the Philippines held at the SM City North EDSA, The Block
- March 30, 2010 Understanding Shoppers with Autism SM Molino Molino, Cavite
- Apr 5, 2010 @ 8AM Understanding Shoppers with Autism SM Sta. Mesa ASP Nat’l Office
- Apr 8, 2010 @ 3PM Art and Talent Show SM Rosario, Cavite Cavite
- April 8, 2010 @ 8AM Seminar on Sensory Integration Central Phil University, Iloilo City
- April 8, 2010 @ 7AM Fun Walk SM City Naga Naga Chapter
- April 8, 2010 @ 7AM Motorcade SM City Iloilo Iloilo City Chapter
- April 8, 2010 @ 3PM AutiSMusical SM City North EDSA, The Block
- April 8, 2010 @ 1PM Variety Show SM City Valenzuela Valenzuela Chapter
- Apr 11, 2010 @2PM Variety Show SM City Batangas Batangas City
- Apr 12, 2010 @8AM Understanding Shoppers with Autism SM Mall of Asia
- April 17, 2010 Sem. on Autism To be confirmed Cebu City Chapter
- April 17, 2010 1PM Family Support Group ASP Nat’l Office ASP Nat’l Office
- April 17, 2010 9AM Seminar on Home Management Program and Siblings’ Side of the Story: Their Journey in the World of Autism Central Phil University, Iloilo City Kid’s Nook Learning Center