I know most of you would not mind reading this post as this doesn’t concern or interest you in any way. I was like you eight years ago. My view about disability was confined with persons who shows very obvious signs impairment like being deaf, mute, blind, crippled, and with physical deformities or discriminations.
Autism was just a word to me, I did not know that people who are physically perfect can have a disability like my daughter.
However I dislike the term disability and I bet most of those who are differently able dislike the term too because they have special means to be able not in a way we “average” people do.
This week is National Disability Prevention and Rehabilitation Week and I would like everyone to be aware and be considerate especially establishments and businesses who should honor the little comforts that the law provided for them like RA 9442 The Magna Carta for the Disabled Person.
Here are some of the activities related to the National Disability Prevention and Rehabilitation Week (like NDPRW page in Facebook)
- July 20 Web Accessibility Forum – Philvocs, Quezon City
- July 21 Forum on Accessibility Law and Universal Design Concept – DOH Convention Hall, Manila
- July 22 Paligsahan ng May “K” sa Kasaysayan at Kultura ng Pilipinas – National Historical Institute (NHI) Auditorium, Manila
- July 22 Medical and Dental Mission (community-based) – Commonwealth Elementary School, Quezon City
- July 23 Commemoration of Mabini’s Birthday – Tanauan City, Batangas and Polytecnic University of the Philippines (PUP), Sta. Mesa, Manila
- July 17-23 Medical Mission Newborn Screening Campaign/Orientation – Philippine General Hospital, East Avenue Medical Center and Dr. Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital
- July 17-23 Livelihood Exhibits of Products Made by Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) – SM North EDSA, Quezon City and Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Grounds,
- Intramuros, Manila
- July 17-23 “Advocacy Access Radio Program – DZAS-702”
Meanwhile, a free ear check-ups and hearing tests in selected barangays in the 6th District of Manila will be provided by i-Abante Batang MayKapansan, a public service of Cong. Benny Abante in cooperation with Sergia Esguerra Memorial Foundation, Inc. [SEMFI]. For inquiries, visit the schools at Nagtahan Road, Pandacan, Manila, or call 564-0156 or email at [email protected].