Last week, I was dumbfounded by an issue that insulted a handful of my beauty blogger friends with regards to a segment on a TV show here in the Philippines that talked about an alleged cosmetics addiction. The researcher of the said TV show was said to have twisted the words of the interviewee blogger and made it appear that she is cosmetic dependent and can’t live without it like someone who is drug dependent or has drug addiction.
While someone saying “I can’t resist buying cosmetics even if I don’t need it”, or “I can’t go out without wearing makeup because I feel I’m naked” doesn’t necessary add up as an addiction, those who does not understand what it is like being a makeup enthusiast , makeup artist or even a simple beauty blogger can immediately conclude there is a problem there. Having too much makeup for your perusal and loving to look at those pretty makeup packaging from time to time is something I think toy collectors do with their collections, right?
Honestly I do this too, buy makeup even if I don’t need it because I already have too much of it. I find it hard not to wear an eyeliner or fix my eyebrows when I go out . I lay down my makeup stuff in bed from time to time and just admire the pretty makeup packaging and all the pretty colors. Does this mean I have an addiction?
- Do you use makeup/alcohol/ drugs (or anything you think you are having too much of) to overcome shyness or feel more confident?
- Are you having money problems because of buying too much of the above?
- Do you ever stay home from work or any activity because of makeup/alcohol/ drugs and anything you think you are having too much of ?
- Is this causing trouble in your family or any relationship?
- Is using too much makeup/drinking/ drugs etc. giving you a bad reputation?
- Have you lost a job because of makeup/drinking/drung use?
- Do you use makeup/ alcohol/ drugs (or anything you are using too much) to escape your problems?
- Do you feel remorse after use?
- Do you think you use too many makeup/ alcohol/drugs at the wrong time?
- Do you use makeup/drugs/alcohol to relieve the painfulness of living?
- Do you have problems disposing of used/ expired containers of makeup/drugs/alcohol?
If you answered three or more yes in the above question you have problems with makeup/alcohol and/or drugs and should seek help immediately. There are dual diagnosis treatment centers you can contact and they will treat everything in a confidential manner.
Addiction is no joke, better treat it or prevent before it becomes a serious problem that instead of making you better makes you the worst person you ever know. Here’s what I think, when you have too much of something that makes you feel less happy or makes you regret after having it is not good.
Be aware and stay gorgeous everyone!