The 42nd MMFF (Metro Manila Film Festival) I think is one of the best MMFF we had since I don’t know. Most of the movie are well done, well thought of and writen , plus you can see the effort when it comes to improving the Filipino industry.
Last December 29, 2016, the awards night was held and the best of the 2016 MMFF was awarded, the event was co-presented by HOOQ.
Jane Cruz-Walker, HOOQ Philippine Country Manager expressed enthusiasm over the partnership with MMFF and HOOQ saying how proud she was to be a part of the festival “as it takes brave new steps in focusing on quality films, fresh casting choices and new approaches to filmmaking.”
Meanwhile, Metro Manila Development Authority Thomas Orbos was optimistic to say that the 42nd MMFF is the start of the change we Filipinos are looking for when it come to the Filipino movie industry. “We are gathered here together not only to seek change but also to look back to the original theme of the MMFF which is to be a festival that celebrates Filipino artistic excellence. Change is never easy, it is a difficult path, but thanks to the MMFF Executive Committee we are here today amidst change. We believe that what we did with the MMFF this year may not be recognized now, but it will be appreciated by future generations. It is not about the money, it is about what we can give to our children later on by promoting quality films in the Philippines.”
With that said, here is the complete list of the 42nd MMFF awards night:
- Best Picture – Sunday Beauty Queen
- Best Director – Erik Matti (Seklusyon)
- Best Actress – Irma Adlawan (Oro)
- Best Actor – Paolo Ballesteros (Die Beautiful)
- Best Supporting Actress – Phoebe Walker (Seklusyon)
- Best Supporting Actor – Christian Balbes (Die Beautiful)
- Children’s Choice – Saving Sally, Sunday Beauty Queen and Vince & Kath & James
- People’s Choice – (voted online) Die Beautiful
- Best Cast Ensemble – Oro
- Special Jury Prize – Rhed Bustamante (Seklusyon)
- Best Screenplay – Seklusyon
- Best Sound – Seklusyon
- Best Musical Score – Saving Sally
- Best Theme Song – Dominus Miserere (Francis De Veyra) Seklusyon
- Best Production Design – Seklusyon
- Best Editing – Sunday Beauty Queen
- Best Cinematography – Seklusyon
- FPJ Memorial Award for Excellence – Oro (AWARD deflected)
- Gatpuno Antonio J Villegas Cultural Award – Sunday Beauty Queen
- Best Float – Die Beautiful
While ORO was given one of the best award given during the MMFF , after a few days , the award was retracted because of the outrage about the dog killed in the movie for arts sake. The MMFF committee also banned showing of the movie unless the producer cuts off that scene.
Good news guys, some cinemas in the country decided to extend the showing of some 42nd MMFF movies until January 7, 2017 (except the movie ORO) Here is the list of the cinemas:
GREENHILLS THEATER MALL
FESTIVAL MALL ALABANG
KCC MARVEL COTABATO
MAGIC STAR TARLAC
SILVER SCREEN OZAMIS
VISTA MALL BATAAN
CENTRE PLAZA ZAMBOANGA
SM NORTH EDSA
SM MALL OF ASIA
SM STA. MESA
ROBINSONS METRO EAST
ROBINSONS DASMARINAS CAVITE
ROBINSONS GEN. TRIAS CAVITE
ROBINSONS STA. ROSA LAGUNA
ROBINSONS ROXAS CITY
But if for any reason you still can’t watch the movies by January 7, 2017, don’t fret, all of the MMFF movies will be available on HOOQ .
MMFF and HOOQ are also working together to encourage the next generation of movie makers through the HOOQ Short Films category. HOOQ awarded a host of Short Film prizes including the Special Jury Prize and the Best Short Film.
Each HOOQ Short Film was partnered with a long-form finalist and were screened during the MMFF regular theater run from December 25 to January 3. Each film runs under 5 minutes and most will be available on HOOQ shortly after conclusion of the Metro Manila Film Festival.
Stay gorgeous everyone!