Before making those creative home improvements here are things you need to do first:
- Make a lay-out your homes. Draw your home floor areas and identify the non-moveable areas and things like the entry-way main-door, kitchen counters, doors of your bedroom and comfort room/bath room and stairs.
- Identify areas. Once the non-moveable areas and pieces are identified write down things you need/ want to have in your home to make staying there more comfortable. This can be your work-at-home station, study-at-home station, coffee station, dining area, living room / movie room etc.
- It is a good idea to invest in personal amenities inside your houses for wroking out or watching -in hourse movies or having the feel of having a staycaction at home!
- Take into consideration the areas of your houses that are utilized the more and more people spend time at. You might need a bigger space for this.
Areas in your houses you can make creative home improvements
- Home Office / Online Schooling
- Fitness Center (Exercising area/ Home Gym)
- Chill Spot (Coffee Nook/ Reading Nook)
- Indoor Garden
- Home Theater
- Pet space
- Do an inventory. Make an inventory of all the home furnishings, appliances, home accessories , lights, sounds, electrical outlet and everything you might need for each area/station. This is to minimize your spending on buying things you think you need but you already have . We should take hold of every penny we can save during these trying times.
- Think of a theme you want in each area. It will be fun, if you are like me to have a different look and feel each week . Today you are tropical. Next week you are like living in an Igloo. Take inspiration from the Pinterest boards ! The possibilities are endless!
- Have everyone in your household participate in the home makeover ! If you have kids you can ask them to make a special piece to put in their favorite spot at home that they can be proud of . If you are one of those who will be putting on stickers in your homes have bigger kids help, just the way they used to do when wrapping their school books and notebooks for school !
- Combine room functions. If you don’t have enough space to make all your “dream” areas possible, you can combine areas in your homes. You can combine the Chill Spot with the Indoor Garden and the Fitness Center. I am not sure if Work from Home and Online Schooling areas can be combined because both need to be away from the noises in the house. It might be best if you can put your work and study area inside your bedrooms . Or if your chill spot or garden is quieter maybe someone can make that her home or study area too.
Here’s some of the creative home improvements I did to maximize my space:
And some I want to take some inspiration because of my pink sofa !
- However, there are no strict rules. Your home your rules ! Just do you . This is just a guideline.
It doesn’t matter if you live in a detached house with own backyard or frontyard, or a very limited spaced condo unit or low-cost housing or apartment . More poeple, like you and me have realized the importance of investing in high-quality home for our families. The need of having a safe home is amplified .
I’ve know a lot of people who have moved out during the pandemic. Me, included. I have a couple of friends who have moved from condos to town-houses because there’s more freedom and space.
According to the Banko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) This time might be the best time to invest in property as residential sales is in a slump. This is because a lot of residential project launches halted, a lot of construction are delayed and mortgages grants have dropped by half in the second quarter of 2020.