I’m sure you are aware that our environment is acting weird lately, summer days are hotter than usual, rainy days are drowning places we never imagined it could, earthquakes are everywhere, volcanoes are being active again, bird and sea creature migrations are getting weirder.
On April 22, 2010 the world will celebrate the 40th year of Earth Day, more than ever though our planet is in a greater peril. Climate change is the greatest challenge of our time. This is our chance to grab our opportunity into turning our world, our only one planet earth into a healthy, clean energy and prosperous economy for our children and our children’s children.
Earth Day 2010 can be a turning point to advance climate policy, energy efficiency, renewable energy and green jobs. Earth Day Network is galvanizing millions who make personal commitments to sustainability. Earth Day 2010 is a pivotal opportunity for individuals, corporations and governments to join together and create a global green economy.
One day Earth Day activities is not the answer to the problem we are facing right now, those activities are meant to raise awareness and nothing else. The solution lies on each individuals continuous and conscious effort to contribute to conserve our planet and make it habitable for generations to come.
Here are things we should be doing now and not later!
- Conserve energy. Turning off electrical equipments when not in use is already an overused call but it does work and saves you from paying huge on your electricity bill.
- Its high time that our soon-to-be elected government officials to implement the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000 or Republic Act No. 9003 (R.A. 9003). No more slacking! Its not just paper! As soon as this law is strictly enforced recycling and waste segregation on each household will follow. What’s the use of segregating your waste when the garbage collector will dump the waste in their garbage truck regardless of the classification.
- Let’s stop the laziness. Separate the biodegradable to non-biodegradable and the recyclable to the non-recyclable.
- The government should be open to providing funds for research and utilization of green energy like solar panels and the use of the Malampaya Natural Gas Power Plant and wind energy like that of Ilocos.
- All year round tree planting activities and not only during Earth Day celebration or Boys Scout/Girls Scout and other non-government organizations tree-planting activities.
- Conserve water.
2010 Earth Day Events
- The Earth Day Network Philippines together with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources is set for a one day event on April 22, 2010 nationwide. There will be bike tours, tree planting activities, sports tournament, interfaith gatherings and bonding among Filipinos and environmentalists on that day.
- Zoomanity Group together with the Boys Scouts of the Philippines, Pine Trees, DENR and Bamboo Network of the Philippines will have a whole month event for the environment entitled One Big Green Park on April 22 to May 31, 2010 in cooperation with. Thousands of seedlings will be planted in different areas of: Paradizoo Theme Farm in Mendez Cavite, Zoocobia Fun Zoo in Clark Pampanga and Zoobic Safari in Subic. The event is an initial advocacy program of Zoomanity Group to save Philippine forests. One Big Green Park – Philippines event will also be participated in by Enchanted Kingdom, Manila Ocean Park and Splash Island.
- Ms. Philippines Earth 2010 coronation night will be held on April 24, 2010.
- Seven cities in Metro Manila which includes Makati, Pasig, Mandaluyong, Quezon City, Taguig and the municipality of Cainta are the seven key cities in the country where bikers will pass through during the 12th Tour of the Fireflies this Sunday, April 18, 2010.
- Earth Day 2010 Events Worldwide
- Bloggers Unite For Earth Day
- Be A Climate Witness
- Help Generate A Billion Acts of Green by signing up here now!