Use the color red to grab attention and to get people to take action. Use red when you don’t want to sink into the background. Use red to suggest speed combined with confidence and perhaps even a dash of danger. A little bit of red goes a long way. Small doses can often be more effective than large amounts of this strong color. Multiple shades of red and even pink or orange can combine for a cheerful palette.
Language of Red:
The use of red in familiar phrases can help a designer see how their color of choice might be perceived by others — both the positive and negative aspects.
- Red letter day – important or significant occasion
- Red carpet treatment – make someone feel special, treat them as if they are a celebrity
- Roll out the red carpet – same as above
- Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning; red sky at night, sailor’s delight – pay attention to good and bad warning signs
- Paint the town red – celebrate, go out partying
- Red eye – an overnight flight
- Seeing red – to be angry
- Red herring – something that deceives or distracts attention from the truth
- In the red – being overdrawn at the bank or losing money
- Red flag – denotes danger, warning, or an impending battle
Red Words: These words are synonymous with red or represent various shades of the color red.
Scarlet, crimson, vermillion, carmine, maroon, burgundy, ruby, rose, madder, rouge, brick, blood red, blush, fire engine red, cinnabar, russet, rust, Venetian red, flame, Indian red, tomato.
Here are some of my favorite red things:
Lasagna, Strawberry and Spaghetti and anything with tomato except tomato juice.
Menudo, Afritada, and Mechado (all Filipino dish)
Also my favorite fashion accesories, shoes, lipstick, bag, blouse or belt. I wear them one at a time, maybe two but not all at the same time or you will look like this:
…which is an exemption of course because it’s a Halloween party. I wear a red mask, a red blouse, a red belt, and red shoes!
But of course most importantly, it’s the color of my favorite time of the year (nope not Valentines or Chinese New Year) Christmas!
Red is Santa Claus suit! Everyone watch out, because he is coming to town, soon!
By the way, I am celebrating my blog 1 year anniversary and I would like to invite you to join my giveaway. Open Internationally! Details here.